Gain valuable insight through collaboration with U.S. government offices and businesses!



The Government Fellow Program provides an opportunity for foreign government officials to travel to the United States on a research track for overseas training. Participants in this program will collaborate with a host organization in order to gain first-hand experience and conduct their research. This research will allow government fellows to make improvements to their own governmental systems upon their return home.

The Government Fellow Program offers opportunities for research, networking, collaboration, and cultural exchange to government officials looking to make improvements to their own governmental systems.











Partner organizations have passed fiet’s meticulous vetting process and have been determined to be reliable organizations that meet the requirements of the sponsoring governments.


Create memories as you experience American life with your family for up to two years.


Expand your professional network within the U.S. government and associated industries.


fiet will help interested parties to find American host organizations within their discipline for independent research and intergovernmental collaboration. This eliminates the arduous task of government officials trying to establish a connection with a host organization from overseas through cold-calling, emailing, or other traditional means.


fiet will assist you and your sponsoring organization with preparing materials necessary for obtaining a visa to ensure that the process goes smoothly.


Receive free public education for your children.


2-Year Program
1-Year Program
6-Month Program
Processing time: 3 months
Los Angeles, California
J-1 Research Scholar
J-2 for dependents
Clients go through a competitive bidding system to be selected for government fellowship in their country of origin. They must produce an exemplary work performance record and demonstrate proof of English proficiency.



  • Passed fiet's meticulous vetting process
  • Determined to be reliable organizations with a reputation for intergovernmental collaboration


  • Conduct independent, comparative research tasks
  • Receive job training from complementary American government offices or host organizations


  • Work alongside American government officials or other industry professionals
  • Collaborate on developmental projects to receive practical work experience


  • Learn from guest speakers, including industry experts, and professors
  • Engage in opportunities for collaboration and professional networking


Government partnerships in additional states, counties, and cities may be available.
Please contact fiet to learn more about our current partnerships.


At fiet, we carefully select and refer proven relocation service agencies to help visiting fellows comfortably and safely settle in.

  • The relocation service fee may differ depending on the agency as well as the scope of the service. However, general costs may range between $1500 -$2500.
  • While the relocation services offered on the East and West Coasts are similar, the housing referral costs on the East Coast are not included in the service fee, which generally amounts to one month’s rent.
  • A temporary housing reservation shall be requested upon the relocation service agreement, and the expenses of the temporary housing are separate.
  • Rental and purchase costs of the house and vehicle are not included.
  • Driver’s license skill test is not provided. If requested, additional costs will incur.
  • Airport pick-up services
  • Local school referrals and assistance in submitting school applications
  • Arranging house purchase, rent, or temporary housing reservation
  • Setting up utilities (electricity, gas, internet, etc.)
  • Vehicle rental/purchase and registration, opening of bank accounts, cell phone subscription, etc.
  • The relocation service starts approximately 2-3 weeks prior to departure.
  • It is best to start the service after the visa interview. If there is not enough time between the interview and the departure, it is recommended to start the discussion right after receiving the DS-2019.


Government partnerships in additional states, counties, and cities may be available.
Please contact fiet to learn more about our current partnerships.


03 (3)
05 (2)
04 (1)
01 (1)
02 (2)


This program invites professionals working for government offices to affiliated businesses and government departments in the U.S. The government fellows will execute a joint or independent research project and participate in collaborative work tasks with the American government department or business that best correlates with their home office.

The process for determining which civil servants are eligible to participate in overseas training programs is based on criteria provided by the government of each fellow’s home country. Government officials who are selected via this process and intend to participate in the fiet fellowship program must indicate their research goals and objectives to fiet staff. Fellows are then matched with American host organizations according to their professional background.

The host matching process takes into account the research objectives, professional background, and position of the official who is applying for the program. This process typically takes 2-4 weeks, and must be approved by the applicant’s supervisors.

The process for matching applicants with a host organization and sponsoring their visa applications are conducted independently. Typically, applicants are matched with a host organization before they receive visa sponsorship, as the match must be approved by both parties, and an official letter of recognition must be exchanged between the host organization and the applicant’s government office. Once the match has been approved, applicants may then begin the visa sponsorship process. The total duration for these processes is approximately 6 to 10 weeks.

The J-1 visa is for visitors who will participate in the exchange visit program designated by the U.S. Department of State. The J-2 visa is granted to the dependents of the J-1 visa holder, and the dependents are eligible for free public education.

Each prospective government fellow must be interviewed in order to obtain a visa. Interviews are conducted at U.S. consulates in the home countries of prospective fellows. Once a client submits the required documents, including the DS-2019 issued by the U.S. host university, the client can be interviewed. When making reservations for visa interviews, clients must provide the program number stated on the DS-2019, as well as the SEVIS codes for everyone planning to enter the U.S.

Visas must be obtained in the home countries of government fellows and, therefore, cannot be extended within U.S. territories. However, the DS-2019 may be extended even if the J-1 visa has expired. In these circumstances, government fellows may legally stay in the U.S. during the permitted period, but will be subject to restrictions upon exiting and entering the U.S.

Host university officials must sign the Travel Validation section of the DS-2019. This signature allows government fellows to freely exit and enter the country. The signature is valid for six months and must be renewed upon expiration.

Government fellows may work with a J-1 visa. However, based on the exchange visit program, fellows can only work for the host university or the institute designated by the host university, as shown on the form titled IAP-66 (Certificate of Eligibility), which is issued by the host university or sponsoring institute.

Spouses or children with J-2 visas can submit a work permit application (Form I-765) to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and earn authorization to work. In order to receive this authorization, J-2 visa holders must provide proof that they are working to support themselves financially, rather than working to support the J-1 visa holder.

Once a travel date has been established, fiet will schedule the orientation and inform government fellows of the date and time they must arrive. Orientations must occur within 30 days of their arrival in the U.S. During this orientation, government fellows will meet with an authorized official at the host university to discuss the duties of the fellowship.

The documents required for enrollment in school include a vaccination confirmation and proof of enrollment for elementary students, as well as transcripts for middle and high school students. All documents must be provided in English. Other documents should be provided after settling in the U.S., such as the visa, passport, and proof of address.

A J-2 holder is dependent on the J-1 holder. Thus, it is best for a J-2 holder to enter the country with the J-1 holder. If this is not possible, the Travel Validation section of a J-2 holder's DS-2019 must be signed by the authorized university official in order to allow a J-2 holder to enter the country separately.

The insurance criteria for a J-1 visa may differ depending on the host university. For accurate information, fellows should consult the insurance criteria provided by the university.
The following is the minimum standard applicable to a J-1 visa:
Medical Benefit ($100,00), Repatriation of Remains ($25,000),
Medical Evacuation ($50,000), Deductible per Accident or Illness ($500)
Insurance may be purchased through fiet before entering the U.S. or through the host university after entry.

For More Information And New
Features Subscribe Our Newsletter

Set put shyness offices his females him distant. Improve has message besides. Questions explained agreeable preferred strangers too him her son.
Set put shyness offices his females him distant. Improve has message besides.
You have been successfully Subscribed! Ops! Something went wrong, please try again.
    1. Copy of Passport(s) (Including All Dependents)
    2. Financial Statement
      • For a 1-year program, the financial statement must reflect more than $50,000
      • For a 2-year program, the financial statement must reflect more than $100,000
      • With more than 4 dependents, the financial statement must reflect more than $60,000
    3. Proof of Employment (or Career Certificate)
    4. University Transcripts and Copy of Diploma
    5. Research/Activities Plan
    6. Resume
    7. Cover Letter
    8. Government-Issued Certificate of Applicant and J-2 Dependent(s)
    9. Proof of Health Insurance

* Documents should be submitted in English.
* Resume, cover letter, and research statement must be submitted as Microsoft Word documents.

  1. Submit online application, including the application fee
  2. Host matching process begins
    • A letter introducing the host organization is submitted to the Office of Personnel Management
      of the client’s home country for approval
    • After approval has been obtained, a research invitation letter from the host organization is
      submitted to the Office of Personnel Management
  1. Interview via video call to demonstrate English proficiency
  2. Pre-acceptance letter, agreement form and invoice for program fee issued
  3. Submit signed agreement form and receipt of payment for program fee
  4. Submit all required documents
  1. DS-2019 processing begins
    •  Application documents are edited and submitted to the university
      • Please allow 2-3 months for document processing
      • Some universities may take additional processing time to complete your DS-2019 forms *
    •  Additional documents may be required, depending on the university *

    * You and your agent will be notified if you are applying to such a university

  2. Receive completed DS-2019 forms and invitation letters from the university
    •  Your package will contain the following documents:
      • Acceptance letter from the university
      • Invitation letter from the university
      • Notice to U.S. Consulate
      • DS-2019 form(s) for you and your dependent(s)
    •  Your agent will be sent an email containing the following:
      • Tracking number of your document package
      • Your university program number
      • SEVIS number(s) for you and your dependent(s)
  1. Obtain health insurance
    •  This can be purchased through fiet, the university, or through an independent health insurance provider
  2. Schedule visa interview(s) for you and your dependent(s)
  3. J-1 visa and J-2 visa(s) for dependent(s) issued by American embassy
  4. Prepare for relocation. Contact fiet if you would like a referral to one of our selected relocation service agencies
  5. Notify fiet of your U.S. address and contact information